samedi 16 avril 2011

A Tiger In You


Listening for the first time to Best Coast – I didn’t previously know the band – I hear an exact mix between the Breeders and Beach House. And a bit of The Fresh & Onlys. In the case of The Fresh & Onlys who also have been described as a surf revival band, yes, I get the surf guitar. For me that’s what surf music is. But I guess I’m being too anal. The Beach Boys have written Surfin’ USA, Surfer Girl, Surfin’ Safari and Surfin’. You can’t hear a surf guitar in any of these songs but again, if the record is playing you can’t help but think of a sandy beach and a few tanned and toned fresh bodies on a sliding wooden board. In other words surfin’. So I guess that’s the point of the reference. Usually the title of the song helpfully focus your mind in that direction.

I went a few times to St Yves in England and most of the time if you look in the opposite direction of the Tate and stare at the sea, forearms rested on the black balustrade, you will see surfers getting a taste for the significant waves, all wrapped up in a body suit. You have to understand this could be in November or in February when you would see steam blurring out your vision coming out of your pasty. In these circumstances, forget about the Beach Boys. I mean they even made you think about surfing while singing Frosty the Snowman but I would like to see them try in Cornwall. Well I've tried and I can tell you, it doesn’t work. Anyway, I’m not sure what’s my point. Ah yes, what is making us think about a nice sandy beach when we listen to this stuff? No idea. But it works. Can’t wait for the summer. Fuck off Frosty.

The Fresh & Onlys - Be My Hooker (2010)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire