samedi 2 avril 2011
1. Your first musical memories?
The guitar solos from Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd; although at the time it was just the music in my head when my father was driving me around Las Cruces, New Mexico, when I was between 4 and 5 years of age. That is my first conscious memory. My mother was 8 months pregnant with me and my brother when she went to a Grateful Dead concert in Feb. 1968, so they were part of my womb experience, which I think is why I have always found their music so soothing.
2. The best record you received as a present? / The worse one?
Weirdly enough I have only received records as presents twice and they were all good. The first time was during an easter-egg hunt in New Mexico and my parents hid two Allman Bros records for us. On my 16th bitrthday my mom got me New Day Rising by Husker Du.
3. The first record that you lost?
I have sold records, given them away in break-ups with girlfriends but I have never lost any.
4. The name of your imaginary band?
The Original Shotgun Rag Time Band. In 1993, some would have said that Earth was an imaginary band since I was its only member.
5. In which environment do you like to record music?
In a Studio.
6. What will music sound like in 50 years / 5000 years?
Well in 50 years it will not be electric, there will only be acoustic instruments, or home-made ones. In 5000 only home-made ones left.
7. Which underrated album will start a new musical genre?
I have always considered genres marketing terms invented by salesmen. Not being a salesman I would not presume.
8. Which album should never have been made?
The list is endless.
9. Your favourite album to have a drink?
I can’t drink anymore, but when I did it was I am what I am by George Jones.
10. Your dream collaboration?
Right now it would involve getting Betty and Rachel Unthank to sing something on my solo album. With Earth it would be Richard Thompson doing some guitar work with us.
11. The record that freaks you out?
Desperado by the Eagles.
12. The record you would like to listen to right now?
Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention.
13. The film that tickles your creativity?
Pan’s Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro.
14. The little-known track that everyone should have heard of?
For Earth it would be the original of Miami Morning Coming Down. In general it would be the Quiet Joy of Brotherhood performed by Fairport Convention, written by Richard and Mimi Farina.
15. An album or an artist you wouldn’t want to be?
Another endless list.
16. The cover version you would love to do?
17 by Jethro Tull.
17. The mashup you would love to do?
What is a mashup?
18. The text you would like to produce a soundtrack for?
Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell by Susanna Clark.
19. Have you ever had auditory hallucinations?
20. How would you like to die?
Either in a duel of honor or abducted into the Otherlands.
Go to their official website, their myspace and their wiki.
Earth will play live at Scala, the 12/04 (London) and at the Nouveau Casino, the 13/04 (Paris). For other tour dates check their myspace.